Here is FIVE REASONS why healthy pumpkin is such a great super VEG!
1. PUMPKIN is one of the healthiest VERY LOW calorie vegetables.
100 g provide just 26 calories and contain NO saturated fats or cholesterol (GOOD for a healthy heart).
HEALTHY TIPS: It is surprisingly filling, tastes great and a combination of pumpkin and carrot can replace mashed potatoes on your dinner plate.
2. PUMPKIN is a storehouse of many ANTI-OXIDANT VITAMINS such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E (the essential vitamins for strong immunity, healthy skin and eyes).
3. The bright orange colour of pumpkins comes from carotenoids, which also give carrots their colour. Beta-Carotene is one of the plant carotenoids converted to Vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential for healthy, glowing skin, strong eyesight, and our immune system.
4. Pumpkins are also high in LUTEIN and ZEAXANTHIN, substances that may help prevent the formation of cataracts and reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
5. Pumpkins contain minerals: copper, calcium, and potassium. The copper works in conjunction with iron to form healthy red blood cells, the calcium works to help keep the bones healthy and strong, the potassium acts as an electrolyte and helps to balance the fluids within the body.
And don’t forget the seeds: Pumpkin seeds, also called pepitas, boost your intake of several essential nutrients. Seeds are a good source of protein and fiber (a type of carbohydrate that prevents constipation and benefits digestive health), iron (a mineral important to red blood cell function), magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese, and zinc (an essential mineral for immunity, cell growth and division, skin health, and fertility).
Use raw pumpkin seeds in soups, porridge, salads or sandwiches to add texture and flavour.
Written by Erica Vtoraja
Paneted by Nikole Bukrejeva