As you might have already figured out, this dish is both vegetarian and vegan. It is very easy to make and get all you need for the recipe from your local supermarket. Crunchy veggies, soft noodles, very flavourful Asian-inspired dressing – so yummy, you would not be able to stop eating it! Perfect for lunch, dinner, or snack! It looks simple, but all the ingredients support and complement one another. This is the recipe you must try out!
You can also mix any vegetables of your choice (there is no need to stick to what I like). You can combine bell peppers, red (purple) cabbage, green beans, sugar snap peas, or my favourite pak-choi 🙂
- 100 g vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery rib
- a bunch of parsley or coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 water
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce (optional). Remember, peanut butter is quite salty.
- 1 garlic clove
To make salad dressing:
Use a garlic press to squish garlic. In a medium bowl, combine and whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing and keep them over low heat, stirring constantly, then leave to cool down. Do not worry if your sauce does not have a smooth and delicate texture when you start heating it up, it will reach the desired consistency in the process.
To prepare noodle salad:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the rice noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain, and set aside. I usually use boiling water and let the noodles soak in it until soft.
2. Wash and chop the vegetables into bite size pieces, thinly slice carrot, if you are using baby spinach, leave it without chopping.
3. Combine the noodles with all the vegetables in a large bowl. Add some salt and/or pepper to taste, toss together, and serve. Pour the dressing over the noodle-veggie mixture or leave it on the side.
Light, refreshing, crunchy and easy-to-make salad (or dinner), anyone?